The City of Norfolk's Department of Parks & Recreation's Bureau of Cemeteries is seeking a Public Information Specialist II to manage media relations. The Public Information Specialist II will plan, direct, and maintains effective promotional programs. The incumbent will promote City services through written and verbal communications. The Public Information Specialist II will perform administrative duties and related duties as required.
Departmental Hiring Salary: $45,670
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Manages media relations by writing press releases and public service announcements, contacting the media and arranging interviews, responding to media inquiries by obtaining information from the department and serving on committees.
- Plans, directs and maintains effective promotional programs by developing campaigns to highlight programs and services, developing effective strategies for communicating with the public, planning and staging events and presentations, developing marketing materials and designing and creating visual displays.
- Performs administrative duties by researching and writing reports and replies to citizens, reviewing and preparing statistical information for presentations and monitoring and recording proceedings at meetings.
- Performs related duties by acting as the bureau's or department's photographer, and preparing and researching grants.
- Performs educational duties in schools and community.
- Writes, edits, designs, and coordinates printing of newsletters, fact sheets, brochures, advertisements, articles, and other educational materials and correspondence in accordance with the department's media relations requirements.
- Works with the Information Technology Department in establishing and maintaining department databases and websites containing information on community events and activities; supervises and trains individuals in proper techniques used to enter, maintain, and update website information. Assists the public in accessing community information from the website.
- Performs related work as required.
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Requires professional & technical writing training, depending on area of assignment.
Three years experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing and/or Public Relations or related field
- Experience in cemetery promotional management.
- Experience in collateral design and production, writing and editing in a variety of platforms (news articles, social media, etc.), Event planning, Developing audio-visual materials, Website development/management, Promotional campaign planning and execution, Developing and executing social media campaign and APA writing style
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Virginia Drivers License
- Must be able to obtain CPR/First Aid certification preferred within 6 months of employment.
- Please attach samples of collateral you have designed as part of a marketing/public relations/communications campaigns.
Vaccination Requirement: The City of Norfolk values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for a position, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are selected to join Team Norfolk, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption.
Signing Bonus: This position is eligible for a one-time $5,000 signing bonus for applications received on or after February 22, 2022 until June 30, 2022. The signing bonus will be paid in two (2) increments: $2,500 upon completion of 60 days of employment, and $2,500 upon completion of your probationary period. To receive the signing bonus, you must be an active employee in good standing.