Researches, documents, prepares, and distributes written and oral communications; communicates news of city programs, events, accomplishments, and services to various internal and external audiences; and produces web and social media content. Collaborates with the department manager on communication strategies, including the development and implementation of communications plans for specific projects. Measures and evaluates output and outcomes from communications goals and objectives. Located in the Communications Division of the City Manager's Office, the Administrative Assistant II performs responsible staff work, manages varies assignments in relieving a high level administrator of administrative detail. Performs a variety of administrative staff assignments which may not follow a prescribed routine, but rather, consist of general assignments to relieve the administrator of administrative detail and other matters not requiring the administrator's personal attention.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
- Knowledge of policies, processes and procedures related to the communication, production, and dissemination of public information.
- Knowledge of news and media production workflow.
- Knowledge of video recording and production equipment.
- Knowledge of public and business administration as it relates to the functions, needs, policies, laws, ordinances, and regulations, governing the City.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of budgetary accounting, personnel, administration, and purchasing.
- Knowledge of modern office administration, methods, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of methods and practices of assembling, analyzing, and presenting statistical data.
- Knowledge of laws, ordinances, and policies governing departments.
- Ability to product short videos for communications projects and public safety campaigns.
- Ability to research and gather information from a variety of sources.
- Ability to work either with a team or alone.
- Ability to learn and work in a fast-paced environment; must work well under pressure.
- Have a great and professional attitude with both employees and clients.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to investigate a variety of administrative problems and make recommendations as to their solutions and to prepare working procedures.
- Ability to analyze, appraise, and organize facts and evidence; present material clearly and logically in oral or written form.
- Ability to plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate the work of subordinates and attain cooperation, build consensus with co-workers.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in the English language and in the Spanish language.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:Work is performed inside and/or outside an office. Capable of working closely with others or alone, working shift work and/or weekends, and traveling by car 10% of the time. Ability to operate office equipment; Work requires light carrying (under 15 pounds), sitting, standing, and climbing stairs. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shades of color, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Provides specialized assistance in the production and delivery or communications and multimedia products and services, including research, writing, script and speech writing, reporting, photography, scouting, setting up for media interviews, video production, social media management, marketing and other services.
- Identifies and selects appropriate and relevant excerpts of speeches, statements, and interviews for voice-over processing.
- Coordinates translation/adaptation of scripts, the recording of narration, the preparation of electronic titles and graphics, etc.
- Assists in maintaining and updating the City of Laredo's Communications web page and social media platforms by drafting, editing, and moderating multimedia content.
- Assists with financial requisitions.
- Maintains records and filing system.
- Provides guidance and training to junior staff.
- Coordinates and participates in special projects as directed by the City Manager; reviews policies and procedures as directed; interprets guidelines and disseminates information.
- Conducts research on an assigned subject; compiles administrative data and statistics; and secures material for use in preparation of speeches or reports; prepares the presentation, speeches, and reports.
- Analyzes procedures and recommends improvements.
- Assists supervisors in development of new programs or procedures.
- Supervises and participates in the administrative and clerical operations of a departmental office; conducts staff interviews and recommends hires; plans, schedules, and assigns work to staff; establishes priorities; instructs and trains in correct methods; checks and approves work.
- Supervises and participates in the production of departmental records, reports, billings, legal documents, statistical reports, handbooks, list data bases and files, general and other correspondence, etc.
- Provides input during annual performance evaluation by the review and inspection of subordinates work to ensure accuracy and completeness of the same.
- Reviews, analyzes, and assists in the preparation of the departmental budget; provides recommendations to the department directors regarding budget adjustments, monitors division account balances, and processes budget transfers as necessary.
- Coordinates and monitors purchasing procedures to ensure proper funds are charged; verifies, estimates, and recommends purchases; processes purchase orders and maintains purchase contracts.
- Prepares or edits annual or other periodic reports, news releases, and special articles.
- Conducts and attends staff meetings to resolve operating or personnel issues and to discuss changes in departmental policy and procedures.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, Journalism, Communication Studies, Film and Digital Media, or related field.
At least four (4) years of experience in public affairs, media relations, marketing, social media, journalism, communications, and/or public information.