Under general direction, this classification performs a variety of professional and administrative activities in support of the Town's communication, media relations and community outreach programs; serves as liaison between the Town and other public agencies, professional organizations, community and industry groups, education community, and the media; creates and develops a variety of materials and other services for dissemination through communications, media, public outreach meetings and events; and performs related work as required. Reports to the Town Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Performs a variety of public outreach and community relations activities, events, and public awareness programs for the dissemination of information regarding Town operations, policies, and procedures.
• Prepares news releases and arranges media interviews; drafts public service announcements; establishes and maintains effective media relations; coordinates and assists with media activities and events; assists other departments in the preparation of announcements and public information materials; develops materials for Town Council meetings.
• Serves as main point of contact for dissemination of information to the media including information regarding public safety (Police, Fire, Public Works and Utilities).
• Pre-approves all mass marketing to be disseminated to the public to ensure proper Town branding and consistent messaging.
• Pre-approves social media postings from departments and is the main point of contact for official Town responses to social media inquiries or complaints.
• Develops, designs and edits Town publications requiring graphic content and design; compiles information and images through research; creates original content and designs for the Town's social media and print publications; prepares newsletters, news releases, feature articles, fact sheets, brochures, photographs, and other materials for broadcast, online, and social media; aligns work products with Town's communication priorities.
• Oversees assigned public awareness campaigns, community outreach programs, and internal communication projects; designs and develops supporting materials; organizes and coordinates deadlines and production schedules to carry out programs.
• Coordinates schedules and assists in set up of community events; develops internal and external communications and publications; determines and distributes information and communications through a variety of outlets including, traditional media, online media, and social media platforms.
• Serves as on-going liaison and represents the Town with designated governmental agencies and other industry, professional, community groups and organizations; attends meetings and provides information on Town programs and projects; works with other Town staff to formulate methods and approaches for addressing community and agency concerns; fosters and promotes positive relations with Town employees and departments, public community groups, schools, and other local government agencies.
• Applies best practices in graphic production techniques in the distribution of informational materials, including video production.
• Designs creative and attractive public information posters, flyers, and postcards.
• Prepares a diverse range of presentations and public information materials.
• Prepares clear and concise communications aligned with the Town's priorities.
• Understands, interprets, and applies all pertinent laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures, and standards relevant to work performed.
• Assists with the Town's website and works with staff/managers to develop and update content.
• Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public services as they relate to public information and communications.
• Observes and complies with all Town and mandated safety rules, regulations, and protocols.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field; and three (3) years of experience providing professional support to a comprehensive public communications program.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Tennessee Driver's License.
• Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
Something wrong with the posting? Report this job to maintain the quality of jobs. Thank you.