Under general direction, plans, supervises and manages the work of professional, technical and clerical employees engaged in a comprehensive program of public relations for the City of Detroit.
Examples of Duties
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (may perform other duties as assigned)
- Designs and implements workflow and schedules staff assignments.
- Formulates and recommends procedural or policy changes.
- Reviews, edits and approves printed and other materials prepared by staff.
- Assists in development of departmental goals.
- Coordinates work between sections of the department.
- Provides technical public relations expertise to all City of Detroit agencies.
- Coordinates development of the annual departmental budget.
- System administrator for the departmental computer system.
- Manages general business activities including purchasing and equipment maintenance.
- Prepares public relations material for special events.
- Adjusts work and resources to meet deadlines and priorities.
- Assists the Director and Deputy Director in the labor relations process including administering disciplinary action.
- Supervises the maintenance of departmental records, files and correspondence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, speech, communications or public relations.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years experience in the design and management of comprehensive public relations programs including experience in the supervision of Publicists, Illustrators, Photographers, Videographers and related support staff.
- Preferably completion of an advanced degree in in a related field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be substituted to meet the education and experience requirements of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and application of publicity techniques.
- Knowledge of methods and practices related to the development and administration of public relations programs.
- Knowledge of the organization and function of municipal government.
- Knowledge of graphic and visual methods of presentation and mechanical reproduction.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software related to the generation of public relations materials.
- Skill in the design and creation of written and illustrated public relations materials.
- Skill in coordination of varied and interrelated activities.
- Skill in communicating verbally and in writing.
- Skill in editing and critiquing the work of subordinates.
- Skill in effectively interacting with the news media, superiors, peers, subordinates and the public.
- Ability to develop and implement operational plans and management strategies.
- Ability to manage the general business activities of a municipal agency.
- Ability to operate a microcomputer and use common office word processing, database and
- spreadsheet software.