The Marketing Specialist is responsible for developing and managing the agency’s branding, in-house advertising program, creative design, print and digital collateral, website and service changes. This position leadsvarious annual marketing campaigns as assigned by the Director of Public Involvement and Communications. In addition, the Marketing Specialist executes the agency’s in-house advertising program and helps manage external creativeand website agencies.
This position will serve as a backup for the Communications Specialist in assisting with social media marketing/monitoring, email marketing, development of videos and written content, etc. The Marketing Specialist reports directly to the Director of Public Involvement and Communications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other related duties as assigned.
Branding and Creative Design
- Manage agency brand standards and update annually with approval from Director of Public Involvement and Communications
- Support departmental campaigns, social media content, collateral, agency documentation, and special projects with graphic design execution from initial design to final packaging of files
- Help manage the agency’s external graphic designer/agency and budget with strategic direction from the Director of Public Involvement and Communications
- Monitor external creative executions to maintain and/or correct usage to align with brand standards
- Prepare and arrange a variety of written and illustrative material in an organized format for use in publications, displays and educational materials (for both internal and external audiences)
- Develop new and update existing agency collateral as needed
- Execute product photography and retouching as needed
- Take required in-house photographs and videos as needed
- Assist DCTA and contractor departments with graphic and printing needs
- Assist with the management of DCTA’s external website agency and annual budget and projects
- Serve as the official webmaster and manage all agency website projects, updates and back-end functionality
- Provide campaign-based and monthly routine reporting regarding website traffic and user behaviors through Google Analytics and other online tracking analytics platforms
- Train identified staff on routine updates required by other departments
- Stay abreast of all digital marketing best practices and implement them on behalf of the agency
Service Changes and Passenger Information
- Lead passenger information campaign, material development, printing and installation on behalf of the Marketing and Communications Department
- Coordinate with Operations for successful development and implementation of service changes
- Develop the service change creative timeline and monitor required progress
- Implement map and timetable updates in accordance with the approved service change
- Update the DCTA website in correlation with service changes
- Manage the inventory, placement, installation, and removal of all passenger information materials including but not limited to facility signage, route guides, platform signage, bus stop signage, vehicle signage, etc.; coordinating with other departments as needed
- Manage the agency’s Limited English Proficiency Plan and coordinate all required translations, printing and digital assets as needed
- Serve as a project manager for assigned annual marketing campaigns (i.e. Holiday Service Schedule, State Fair of Texas, etc.)
- Identify marketing tactics budget costs and creative design inspiration
- Conduct wrap-up reports as assigned by the Director of Public Involvement and Communications
Advertising Program Management (Traditional and Digital)
- Develop annual media buy strategy and execute contracts with guidance from the Director of Public Involvement and Communications
- Manage annual advertising budget with supervision from the Director of Public Involvement and Communications
- Build and maintain relationships with local advertisers
- Stay a breast of advertising best practices and implement them on behalf of the agency
- Manage established print vendors to produce, install, and remove materials as needed
- Set up new vendors as needed
- Manage all marketing procurements process as assigned by the Director of Public Involvement and Communications
- Manage marketing departmental purchase orders and coordinate payment of invoices
REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Must be motivated and hardworking
- Bring creativity and dynamic design experience to all assigned projects
- Ability to follow company brand guidelines and templates
- Ability to design for print and online content is essential
- Successfully work alongside all agency departments, leadership, and partners
- Strong working knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Must be detail-oriented and a well-organized self-starter
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment, while producing high quality collateral
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a positive attitude, and practices good judgement, while open to receiving/providing feedback
- Hold the ability to get along with others, individually and in a large group. Has the desire to care for the organization’s well-being and for the co-workers he/she interacts with. Interested in partaking in group development and team building activities
- Be open to collaborate and work in a team-oriented and helping environment
- Possess an influential and welcoming communication style
- Foster a culture that values critical thinking and problem solving; and encourages constructive feedback, engagement, inclusion, and diversity at all levels
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (Any equivalent combination of education and experience)
Associates or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with major coursework in Marketing, Communications or Journalism. Equivalent to three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience professional work experience directly related to campaign development/execution, event marketing and graphic design. Public transportation or public sector experience preferred.
Special Requirements: Hold a current valid Texas Driver's Licenses or have the ability to obtain one upon entry into the position.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Physical activity includes, but is not limited to: Ona continuous basis, sit at a desk for long periods of time; use a computer and monitor for long periods of time, intermittently twist and reach office equipment; write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; lift moderate weight; reaching above the waist, reaching below the waist, and reaching waist to shoulder to reach inventory on shelves; repetitive motion and fingering when using computer keyboard; occasionally driving short and long distances for meeting attendance; data collection, observation of transit projects and operations during fieldwork; and talking and hearing when dealing with customers, vendors, etc. Frequently required to be mobile, bend, stoop, reach, and occasionally lift objects weighing 25 pounds such as files, supplies, and large reference books. Must have the mental and visual ability to read and write semi-complex materials such as reports, reference manuals, and instructions.
Additional perks and benefits that accompany full-time employment with DCTA:
• Telecommuting options available, if suitable for your position.
• Flexible office hours are permitted, given a regular8-hour workday that brackets the agency’s core hours from 9:00am – 4:00pm (i.e.7:30 am to 4:30pm, or 9:00am to 6:00pm). These flex hours are coordinated withyour supervisor.
• One 8-hour paid day off for your birthday.
• Employee portions of Medical and Dental benefits are 100% paid by the employer.
• If you have utilized a Proportionate Retirement Program in the past, the service time transfers to DCTA’s retirement system, TCDRS. The following systems apply:
• Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
• Employees Retirement System (ERS)
• Judicial Retirement System of Texas (JRS)
• Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS)
• City of Austin Employees Retirement System (COAERS)
• Expanding time-off accruals: 12 days of vacation time accrued for the first year, increasing by one day each year, with a max of 17days annually. Additionally, employees earn 12 days of sick time each year, 1personal day, 2 floating holidays, 1birthday, 8 fixed holidays, and the ability to earn two additional days off through the Wellness Program.
• Regional passes (bus and rail)for you and your immediate family.
• DCTA strives to continually improve our Servant Leadership culture. We pride ourselves in having an open, caring, and communicative community of employees, with the drive to help build each other up.
• Flexible dress code: business casual, allowing jeans every day (unless otherwise specified for external/special meetings, events, etc.).
• Extensive Wellness Program, including several opportunities to volunteer with the agency, sporadic lunch and learn events, chair massages, the potential to earn two extra days off each year, and continual efforts to improve wellness throughout the agency.