Increase community engagement with all stakeholders by providing updated district information in a clear and transparent manner that reflects the mission and goals of the district.
- Requires the following minimum qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in a related field- communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, English or education
- Strong communication, writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Attention to detail with outstanding organizational skills.
- Experience in the design of web-based communications, social media & video production
- Demonstrates professional behavior, including discretion, good judgment, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Ability to adapt to change, take initiative, and be self-directed while working independently to meet deadlines.
- Recent work experience preferably in a school environment or in a related field
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and prioritize communication needs and develop communication strategies to address them.
- Develop and implement a communications plan for the district. Develops a proactive approach to communication that includes consistent, positive, and accurate information put out by the district.
- Oversee communication coming from the district and provide ideas and guidance to District Administration.
- Oversee and develop a system that promotes Every Student Every Day along with the consistency of Gilbert branding.
- Increase communication with all stakeholders through the use of a variety of media sources:
- Traditional Media- newsletters & district mailings, newspaper, radio
- Digital Media- website, the District App & social media updates, district videos as needed
- Live Events- participates in district and community events representing the district
- Provide timely and relevant information to staff, families, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with faculty and administrators to know what’s happening in buildings and help to tell our story at Gilbert Schools.
- Serve as a liaison between the district and media as well as the City of Gilbert, Ames, and other community organizations.
- Coordinate all internal and external marketing efforts by publicizing and promoting school events, performances, and special events.
- Oversee communication during a time of crisis, writing, developing, updating, maintaining, and implementing procedures and protocols for communicating with families during a time of crisis.
- Support the district with researching, writing, collaborating, and submitting grants on behalf of the district.
- Prepare and manage the communications budget
Physical, Mental, and Visual Efforts
Continuous speaking, hearing, and visual effort. Frequent walking, sitting, standing, and reaching. A high degree of concentration requiring continuous and often intense mental and visual attention. Numerous irregularities and complicated and complex tasks are involved. Must have the ability to lift 25 pounds or more on a repetitive basis. Mobility required.
Work is primarily performed in a school setting and may include working with students, staff, and community members in other settings. Occasionally exposed to dust, noise, odors, and other irritants. Stress associated with work pace and pressure. Work involves regular hours and days as set forth by the Board-approved calendar. Some travel may be required. Exposed to poor weather or hazards of the road when traveling.
The Gilbert Community School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Gilbert Community School District not to illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity, and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time unless restricted by a negotiated contract.