This position is located in the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), Executive Office of the Chief of Police (EOCOP), Office of Communications.
The incumbent is a part of the Communications leadership team and serves as the Deputy Director. He/she manages information flow between MPD and the media within the framework of established laws, regulations, policies, and directives.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Plans, designs, and executes a program involving select strategic communications, news media, writing, editing, web management, and marketing projects, as well as other public services.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with members of the press group interested in MPD’s activities or performance.
- Manages the overall implementation of marketing and advertising campaigns, coordinates the writing, design, and production of marketing materials for all departmental programs.
- Oversees the visual content and writes and edits written content for issuance and publications.
- Receives and responds to information requests from the news media and the public, which often requires a detailed explanation of negative comments made on the performance of the department in a particular situation; and coordinates public relation activities, including preparation of any other related materials.
- Provides assistance and consultation to staff in initiating and maintaining direct contact with the public, specialized groups, and community entities concerned with the services of the department.
- Advises management of attitude of the public and users of the services, as well as, achievements and criticisms.
- Directs special events and other activities intended to develop interest in the department’s programs.
- Researches and gathers background information for speeches; produces other communication writing, including press releases, press advisories, newsletters, campaign designs for offline and online educational and marketing tools.
- Researches, defines, and negotiates media buys. Initiates media coverage of the Police Department to highlight efforts, accomplishments, and/or investigative updates.
- Engages and interacts with audiences through department social media outlets utilizing various social media platforms.
- Provides supervision; plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and sets priorities and schedules for the completion of work.
- Assigns work based on priorities, expectation of assignments, and capabilities of employees.
- Establishes performance standards and determines work plans and evaluates performance of subordinates.
- Provides advice, counsels and instructs individual employees on both work and administrative matters. Interviews candidates for office positions; makes recommendations for appointment, promotion, or reassignment of office positions. Receives and resolves complaints from employees; refers group grievances and serious unresolved complaints to the Director.
- Documents disciplinary action on minor issues and recommends action to Director for more serious cases.
- Approves and disapproves leave. Identifies developmental and training needs of employees and makes provision for such activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Something wrong with the posting? Report this job to maintain the quality of jobs. Thank you.