Eligibility list will be maintained for up to six months.
DEFINITION:Under the administrative direction of the City Manager, or designee, provides staff support by communicating between municipal government and its public, and assists to ensure that public expectations are in harmony with services and programs provided by the City, and performs other related duties as required. This is a single-incumbent management level classification reporting to the City Manager.
Examples of Duties
The duties listed below represent the various types of work that may be performed. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is related or a logical assignment to this class. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs technical and administrative duties in planning, developing and implementing public information strategies using all aspects of public information, public involvement and media relations.
- Disseminates and communicates information about the City to residents and the media, promoting the City’s image by raising level of public awareness of City operations and accomplishments in providing service to its customers.
- Establishes and maintains regular contact with the press, community groups, and government officials to meet the organizations public information, awareness, and education needs; serves as liaison with Mayor and Council.
- Prepares reviews and edits letters, speeches, memorandums, proclamations and resolutions, calendars, and press releases.
- Develops and prepares City advertisements and articles for general public information through the use of City website, Social Media, publications and media outlets in English and often Spanish.
- Provides administrative and secretarial support to the Office of the Mayor and Council; maintains and updates Council’s memberships, calendar, prepares travel documents, manages Council’s sponsor and contractual invoicing and accounts receivable.
- Responds, researches, and resolves complaints and concerns from the general public, private businesses and community organizations in conjunction with City Council, Mayor and City Manager.
- Plans, assists and coordinates high profile special events, town hall meetings, public forums, conferences, bi-national meetings and projects of the City of San Luis.
- Develops communication plans for various city campaigns, both internally and externally.
- Participates on various committees as necessary and and coordinates official City functions for the City Manager.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Federal, state and City laws, rules, regulations, practices and procedures governing elected appointed officials.
- Federal, state and City laws, rules, regulations and guidelines related to municipal administration and management practices and procedures.
- Federal, state and City election, open meeting and public records laws, and regulations.
- Parliamentary practices and procedures governing public meetings.
- Business English, composition and formatting of letters, memoranda, reports, conference and seminar materials.
- Record and file management practices and procedures.
- Notary Public principles and practices.
- Standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Office protocol and confidentiality methods, practices and procedures.
- Customer services and public relations methods, techniques practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Conduct oneself professionally.
- Interact with a diverse population and with high profile individuals.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Transcribe and prepare official minutes of public meetings.
- Enter, retrieve, research, maintain and update automated computer databases.
- Handle and prioritize multiple projects and assignments.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.